A new CWFC middleweight champion will be crowned in 2012 via an eight-man tournament which will kick off at Cage Warriors Fight Night 3 on February 9.
Six of the eight participants have verbally agreed to take part in the tournament, which will take place across four shows, culminating in a July finale in London. However, two highly coveted places remain up for grabs.
UFC vet Kyle Watson will make his first appearance on a Cage Warriors card in 2012, with the Illinois lightweight signing up for CWFC Fight Night 3 on February 9.
Watson (13-7-1), a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, will appear on the card for what will be Cage Warriors’ third visit to the Middle East at a venue that will be announced shortly.
The 32-year-old featured on season 12 of The Ultimate Fighter last year and made it to the semi-finals – beating Cage Warriors contender Joseph Duffy along the way – before losing out to Jonathan Brookins on a decision.
Watson went on to defeat Sako Chivitchian via unanimous decision at the TUF 12 finale in Las Vegas just over 12 months ago.
He faced John Makdessi at UFC 129 back in April and in the third round of a close fight, Watson lost via KO when he was hit by a spinning backfist.
Watson hasn’t fought since that loss but fans in the Middle East will have a chance to witness his return to action in February.
For news on Kyle Watson’s opponent, as well as further additions to the Cage Warriors Fight Night 3 card, keep up to date with Cage Warriors on Twitter and Facebook.TweetTagged :
Essex-born middleweight Brett Sizeland is the latest fighter to be added to the card for Cage Warriors 45.
Twelve months on from his CWFC debut at the HMV Forum in Kentish Town, the 30-year-old will return to the venue to take on a soon-to-be confirmed opponent on February 18, 2012.
Sizeland (4-1-0), who fights out of the MMA Clinic in Romford, first appeared on a CWFC card back in February when he was defeated by Tony Machado at Cage Warriors 40.
However, he bounced back in style by securing a first round submission victory (rear-naked choke) over Craig White at Cage Warriors 43 in July.
“We’re happy to have Brett back on Cage Warriors,” said matchmaker Ian Dean. “He impressed a lot of people by beating Craig White and he’s a fighter everybody’s looking forward to seeing more of.” With a busy schedule on the horizon in 2012, Cage Warriors will continue to make regular announcements over the coming weeks and months.
For news on Brett Sizeland’s opponent, as well as further additions to the Cage Warriors 45 card, keep up to date with Cage Warriors on Twitter and Facebook.TweetTagged :
Cage Warriors Fighting Championship continues to focus on fighter safety and raising standards within mixed martial arts in Europe. Going forward, they will subsequently introduce mandatory blood-testing for all their fighters.
“It has been recommended for many years now that all individuals who may potentially be exposed to blood in their profession, such as doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers, as well as police officers and firemen, should be tested for infections like HIV, Hepatitis B and C, and also be vaccinated against Hep B,” said Cage Warriors medical adviser Dr Rashid.
“Full contact sports are another important area where this should be considered and this is why the British Boxing Board of Control, as well as the UFC, introduced mandatory testing for all their fighters.
“This is a very simple and effective way of minimising one of the risks faced by individuals who take up full contact sports and I wholeheartedly support the Cage Warriors team in their efforts to introduce testing for their fighters.” Cage Warriors Director Graham Boylan said:
“The Cage Warriors team works for the sport. We want to bring everything that’s missing to the UK. Since the takeover last year, we’ve put in place our own in-house commission.
“Now that our research has concluded, it is now mandatory to provide your blood paperwork if you wish to fight on Cage Warriors Fighting Championships. No proof of bloods, no fight. If every other promotion in the UK also makes blood-work mandatory, we’re a step closer to where we should be.
“If you’re a professional fighter, you should refuse to fight unless you see your opponent’s blood paperwork.
“Any promotion out there that would like access to the information we’ve gathered regarding how to go about getting fighters tested, please contact us and we’ll gladly provide it. Cage Warriors is here for the sport and the fighters.”
Patrick Vickers, Director of Talent Relations at Cage Warriors, added:
“Fighters sacrifice so much and really put themselves on the line, so anything we can do to protect them can only be beneficial for the sport.”TweetTagged :
NEWLY-crowned CWFC lightweight champion Ivan ‘The Terrible’ Musardo says he’s prepared to defend his title against whoever is put in front of him.
Musardo has also insisted that his victory over Joseph Duffy at Cage Warriors 44 on Saturday wasn’t simply due to a mistake by the Irishman. Duffy lost his footing after attempting a kick in Round 4, allowing Musardo to pounce and apply a guillotine choke.
The victory gave the 31-year-old Italian the vacant CWFC belt and took his professional record to 18-6-1. He said:
“I’ve been training in MMA now for ten years. For ten years I’ve been dreaming of a winning a big title in Britain, which is one of the strongest countries for MMA in the world, in my opinion.
“The British fighters are so tough and it makes me very happy to prove my skills against the best in the world. This title means a lot to me.
“Many fighters that everybody around the world knows have come from Cage Warriors, like Michael Bisping, Dan Hardy and Pascal Krauss. I want to thank Ian Dean for the opportunity to fight for the belt.
“Cage Warriors is definitely one of the best events I've fought on. The people are very professional, they have a very good spirit and enjoy the sport a lot.
“The crowd was awesome and understands a lot of the sport. But of course, when Duffy tapped out, it became very quiet for a second.
“Cage Warriors also made a very good impression with the live stream on the internet. All my friends and family were able to watch the fight in high quality from their homes, as not everybody can afford a flight to Britain on short notice.
“After I won, I went back to the dressing room and took a look at my mobile phone. I had something like 20 text messages and my Facebook profile also got stormed. Thanks to Cage Warriors for making it all happen.”
Fighting in Round 4 on Saturday was a new experience for Musardo. In fact, it was only the fourth time in his 25 professional bouts that he’d gone beyond the 2nd.
“The fight was very tough, one of the toughest I’ve ever fought,” admitted the Zurich-based fighter. “Round 4 was especially hard. But we come from Team Nogueira and one thing you learn from a great master like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is never to give up.” When asked about what the future now holds and the possibility of a Duffy re-match, Musardo responded:
“I don't back up from any competitor but I have to say, I won by submission, which means that Duffy tapped out.
“Is there any clearer way to win than by your opponent giving up? Also, I didn’t just win by Duffy making one mistake. In a sport where seconds can decide the complete outcome of a fight, making two mistakes can make you lose instantly and you have to concentrate for all five rounds.
“His first mistake was to slip, the second was to go into the turtle position against a ground-fighter like me. Of course I will take advantage of mistakes like that. But he was a very tough competitor and fought very smart. I give all my respect to him.
“I am looking forward to fighting on Cage Warriors again to defend my title. I will defend it against anyone they offer me.””TweetTagged :
The bout has been set at a catchweight of 74kg and will see both fighters aim to bounce back from defeats in their previous appearances on a Cage Warriors card.
Leary (2-3-0) will be particularly keen to end a three-fight losing streak, which includes a loss to Aaron Thomas at Cage Warriors 40 back in February.
The 28-year-old Watford fighter, from Team Crossface, suffered a first round submission defeat to Diego Vital in August, as well as losing to Warren de Reuck last December.
However, Leary won both of his first two professional bouts last year, defeating Panayiotis Tsimonos and Sam Elsdon at BAMMA.
Entwistle (4-1-0) is no stranger to Cage Warriors, having already fought for the promotion on three occasions this year.
The 24-year-old, who fights out of the Sapphire Gym in Liverpool, submitted Pat Vickers after twenty seconds of their bout at Cage Warriors 40.
The Accrington native then took on Brad Wheeler in two epic tussles. Entwistle was awarded the victory at CWFC 41 after Wheeler was disqualified for punches to the back of the head. Wheeler was successful at the second time of asking at CWFC 43, however, winning via submission in Round 1.
Cage Warriors matchmaker Ian Dean said :
“We’re very happy to add another fight to Saturday’s card,”
“Both guys are exciting fighters and, love him or hate him, Ian Entwistle always captures the attention of people on the UK MMA scene. I’m sure both Ian and Charlie will want to put on a good show and get back to winning ways.” Cage Warriors 44 at the HMV Forum in Kentish Town, London on Saturday will be headlined by Brian Foster v Jack Mason and Joseph Duffy v Ivan Musardo (CWFC lightweight title fight).
A frustrating enforced lay-off will come to an end for Brian Foster (15-5-0) in London this weekend, when he takes on Jack Mason (17-8-0) at Cage Warriors 44.
Foster hasn’t fought since defeating Matt Brown at UFC 123 last November, having been diagnosed with a brain haemorrhage earlier this year.
However, the 27-year-old Oklahoma native has now received clearance to return to action and he’ll do so at the HMV Forum in Kentish Town on Saturday night.
Having previously trained together with Marc Fiore’s Hit Squad in Missouri, 2-1-0 Cage Warriors veteran Jake Hecht is a close friend of Foster’s.
“I used to manage and train at a branch of American Top Team in Columbia, Missouri, which is about a two-hour drive to Hit Squad.
“Fiore called me one day and asked if I’d help Foster prepare in his camp for his fight with Brock Larson (at UFC 106). Training twice a day at Hit Squad’s large, state-of-the-art facility, I was happy to go along.
“Foster and I hit it off right away and trained hard twice a day to prepare for what was his second appearance in the UFC. A month later, we were all in Vegas coaching Foster to a dominating upset win, in what people thought would be an easy fight for Larson.
“Soon after that training camp, I left my position at American Top Team to train full-time at Hit Squad with a number of UFC veterans.
“Foster and I have challenged each other almost every training session since then, me barely edging him out on the ground and him making me regret I was ever born when we have stand-up battles.” Having been medically released from the UFC after his health scare in April, Foster’s aim is to return to the organisation - where he holds a 3-2 record - as soon as possible.
“Brian is always a positive person who takes any setback as just another challenge in his life,” explained Hecht. “At the start of the year he was on cloud nine, having come off that impressive win over Matt Brown.
“Some health issues have come up since then and held him back from continuing to climb up the UFC welterweight ladder, which I’m sure was frustrating.
“But Foster is the type of guy who’ll take the idle time and use it to develop his skills even further. He has become a more well-rounded fighter.
“He’s a seriously dangerous striker and now that he’s developed his ground skills, as well as perfecting some brutal slams, he’s really a force to be reckoned with.
“Foster is one of the most skilled welterweights in the world. He’s had a minor setback with his health and the UFC are playing it safe by having him get a few fights under his belt before they allow him back into the organisation.
“He’ll run through anyone who’s not of the highest calibre. He’ll be back there soon, showing the world that he only got stronger during his absence.” On a personal level, Hecht (10-2-0) hasn’t fought since June after sustaining a broken hand during his win over Michele Verginelli at Cage Warriors Fight Night 1 in Amman, Jordan.
The 27-year-old, who’s currently head MMA coach at the Boxing Clinic in Cork, Ireland, said: “I’m not really sure what’s next for me right now. I just recently got over the broken hand I picked up during my last fight.
“I told myself that I wouldn’t fight for the rest of the year but the cage seems to be calling me back early. I’d love to fight for a middleweight Irish title but I don’t know if the current belt holder would step up to the challenge.
“Right now I’m focusing on coaching and trying to develop my boys at the Clinic to be ranked among the best in Ireland. If I can pencil in stealing someone’s belt along the way, I’d be okay with that.” Brian Foster v Jack Mason co-headlines Cage Warriors 44 at the HMV Forum in Kentish Town, London this Saturday night, October 1.
Promising young Irish lightweight Merv Mulholland says he’s eager to fight on a Cage Warriors card again, having made a successful debut with the promotion in Jordan earlier this month.
Mulholland (9-4-0) impressed fans at the New Boxing Arena in Amman, securing a first round submission win (rear-naked choke) over Amir Gerandokov at Cage Warriors Fight Night 2.
Reflecting on the victory, the 20-year-old said:
“I was very pleased with my win over Gerandokov. He is a very capable and experienced fighter. I prepared well for the fight, my training camp was excellent and I felt good. I have a lot of confidence in my ability so everything went according to plan.
“The event itself was great and fighting in Jordan was a real experience for me. Going to a place like that, experiencing a different culture and learning about the history of the country is something I’m very interested in.
“I want to see as much of the world as possible and to be able to do it competing in the sport I love is a dream come true. The stadium was fantastic, very professional and one of the best venues I have ever fought in.
“Cage Warriors, in my opinion, are leading the way for MMA at the moment with shows all around the world. I’m glad to be a part of the show and want to make a name for myself showing the world what I can do.” While it’s still early days in Mulholland’s professional career, the Antrim native is certainly ambitious and would relish the opportunity to eventually challenge for the CWFC lightweight belt, which will have a new owner on October 1 when Joseph Duffy and Ivan Musardo clash in a title bout at Cage Warriors 44 in London.
“I’ve only just turned 20 and I’ve been fighting against top flight fighters my whole career, so if Cage Warriors wanted to offer me a chance at the title down the line I would bite their arm off.
“I believe you need to reach out and grab any opportunities presented to you. You never know what tomorrow holds so live life and don’t regret or miss out on any chances presented to you, because before you know it they could be gone.” Mulholland has yet to confirm when he’ll be in action next. However, since his victory in Jordan, he hasn’t taken much time off.
“I arrived back from Jordan on the Monday and was back down at IFS training on Thursday. I’m not sure of my next fight date but I’ll be training and preparing hard because with the amount of shows Cage Warriors are putting on at the moment, hopefully it won’t be long until we get offered another match-up.”TweetTagged :
Jay ‘Mean Streak’ Mortimore has been forced to pull out of his scheduled heavyweight clash with Dayman Lake at Cage Warriors 44 in London on October 1 after sustaining a back injury.
Mortimore (6-2-0) picked up the injury during training over the weekend and is now facing a lengthy spell out of action, ruling him out of the event at the HMV Forum in Kentish Town which is less than two weeks away.
“I’m gutted that I’ve had to pull out of this fight,” said Mortimore. “I’ve trained very hard and was feeling great until the injury. I’ll be back in the gym as soon as possible and hopefully I’ll be on the next Cage Warriors card. I’m sorry to have let anyone down but I’d like to wish the best luck to my team-mates and everyone involved in Cage Warriors 44.” Ahead of Fight Night 2 in Jordan earlier this month, the Cage Warriors team dealt with the late withdrawals of Jean N’Doye, Niklas Backstrom and Sheila Gaff, bringing in top quality replacements for all three fighters to ensure that a full fight card went ahead. Cage Warriors are hopeful that a replacement can now be found to take Mortimore’s place on October 1.
Cage Warriors matchmaker Ian Dean said:
“Obviously everyone at Cage Warriors is upset to hear about Jay’s injury, especally as he’s worked so hard in training and also in promoting this match-up. It’s no secret that he was keen to get back to winning ways after losing to Andreas Kraniotakes at Fight Night 1.
“But this is the fight game and injuries are part and parcel of the business. Hopefully we’ll be able to put this bout on at a later date as it had all the makings of an exciting heavyweight clash between two rising UK contenders. We wish Jay a speedy recovery and we’ll now turn our attentions to getting Dayman re-matched.”TweetTagged :
After a simple, innocent question was asked, an infatuation was started. It's a question we've considered for a long time and now its your chance to do just the same. With the latest news, reviews and opinions you can now ask yourself; What Would Bas Rutten Do?
If you have a query, a problem, a suggestion or merely want to tell us how much you love Bas too, then please drop us a line at
As much as it pains us, we are in no way affiliated with Bas Rutten. We've mentioned him on twitter once or twice but he doesn't know us and we don't know him. Well, we know a lot about him, but not on a personal level. Please don't confuse this issue or take what we say out of context. We just love Bas, MMA and all the shenanigans that go along with it.